Monday, October 1, 2007

Melbourne Victoria, Land of Beauty and History


Mid-semester break was last week, and I went on a trip with Alex to Melbourne, Victoria. This is at the bottom of Australia’s main continent, just above Tasmania. We traveled on Monday with Neisha (an Australian girl who’s family lives there), but most of the time we were on our own being tourists.

The first day we spent just doddling around on the city. It was a big city and we ended up in China town for most of the day looking at all the craziness, and enjoying Bubble Tea, and the best seafood noodle platter of my life.

The next day, Tuesday, we adventured through the city. We started at the Pixar Museum, seeing the cool animation and drawings for movies like Finding Nemo, Toy Story, and Monsters Inc. Then we did some shopping, and went to the Melbourne Observation Deck. It was a cool view of the entire city! Gorgeous. Then we saw famous buildings like the Parliament, Federation Square, the Princess Theatre, Hotel Windsor, and St Patricks Cathedral. All so old, with rich historic beauty. That night we took a train to Neisha’s house and had dinner with her mom, and sister. It is an old tradition in Australia to have a roast night every Tuesday and Sunday, so we had roast, sat at the table eating yummy food and then drinking coffee for 3 hours. Just sharing life and seeing the cultural differences (we were some of the first Americans her family has met.)

Wednesday was my favorite day. We took a bus tour trip along the Great Ocean Road. We started by seeing an Aboriginal Culture performance, then went to Bell’s beach, saw Kangeroos in nature, koalas in their natural habitat, all while driving along this gorgeous coast line of beaches and rocks, and golden sand, and teal blue water. It was amazing. The road winded along and I worshiped God’s beauty in creation. Then we got to the 12 apostles, London Bridge, and Arch and Gorge. These are all rock formations…and they can only be explained by seeing it (look at my Facebook pics). At the 12 apostles Alex and I took a helicopter ride along the ocean and it was one of the most surreal experiences of beauty in my life.


WOW!

Thursday we took another tour adventure with “Go West Tour Groups” to Phillip Island. Along the way we stopped at a Winery, which was beautiful, I have never seen such green fields, and pretty scenery. Then we went to a wildlife sanctuary were injured or orphaned animals are brought to be taken care of. We saw a wombat that was 9 months old, a baby wallaby (only a couple weeks old), dingoes, Tasmanian devils, emus, and sheep and hand fed kangaroos, and wallabies. And of course koalas. Then we went off to Phillip Island to see Seal Rock, another beautiful beach (I forgot the name), and a Penguin Parade. Every night hundreds of penguins come up along the beach to go to their homes on this little section of the island. It was a really unique experience with the wildlife of Australia.

Then Friday we toured around the city and saw an art museum, and the parade for the Final Australian Rules Football game. They get really into their sports here let me tell you! The streets were lined with thousands of people, you could not move even if you really wanted too. Oh and that night we went to a Jack’s Mannequin and Fall Out Boy Concert. It was ok, I didn’t really want to go, but Alex did, so I compromised and went.

Saturday we had a lovely lunch in a café, then Alex went to a Modern Art museum, and I went to the Botanic Gardens, and the WWI memorial. The gardens were gorgeous, and they never ended. I walked for 2 hours only to discover more beauty. There are multiple aspects of the Gardens, like the Queen Elizabeth Gardens, King’s Domain Gardens, and the Memorial Gardens. All completely breath-taking with life. And in the WWI memorial a little old man was in their crying, and I cried with him, just seeing the appreciation and love of his heart.

Then we watched footy in a pub, it was crazy how into the game everyone was, and we flew home. I was exhausted. I felt and looked like death, but the trip was absolutely worth it. I felt there was so much to do and see in the city, but I am happy with how I spent my time. Now I am back in the Gold Coast, doing some Uni work, chilling out with people, and enjoying the weather getting super HOT!

I hope this wasn’t too long or boring, I just wanted to catch you all up :)

1 comment:

Kelsea Nicole said...

Thanks for writing, friend, that picture of you at the beach is BEAUTIFUL!!! Once again your blog made me all teary-eyed, when I read about you and the little old man. I love your tender heart!