Monday, September 17, 2007

The Taylor Family

I texted in to a radio station here in Gold Coast to win tickets to see Evan Almighty (it just came out here), and I won!!! Well all of my friends won too, but that just meant more of us could go! So 10 of us rocked it to the free premiere showing, and man it was both good company and a good movie.

My heart right now is really alive to the desire to have a Christian family. When the movie was over, and it showed a clip of the family going for a hike, and just spending time together, and my eyes flooded with tears. My family doesn’t really do that, we used to, but then everyone just got too busy. My dad’s famous saying was, “Well we need you to do more to put it on your college resume.” No wonder I struggle to accept Grace, I grew up believing and being forced fed this idea of working really hard to have value, working really hard to be enough.

Anyways, back to the family stuff. I reckon that the reason I love going to Old Chicago with my family, is because everyone goes, eats, and enjoys life. It is rich time. I miss it actually.

When we were done with the movie Ben invited us all over to his house for dinner, and dessert. And man, his family has been one of the biggest blessings in my life here so far. His mother, father, and sister already ate, but his mother made us more food, for all 10 of us mind you, and then we all crammed at this huge table to eat. And they stayed with us, to fellowship.

At the table of 13, I sat close to Brian (the dad) and he asked such good questions. He was asking me about my family, what my life is like, and took a shallow conversation at the table deeper. He is a cool man of God. Then Debbie (the mum) said, “Well Brian, what do you think?” and Brian responded, “I reckon we should pray for this young people…” they were so on the same page! It was sweet. Then they prayed for us. Brian offered his heart as a father, and Debbie offered her heart as a mother. They prayed for our futures, our studies, our safety, and our journey with God. My favorite part of their prayer was when they praised God for not making us be alone; both by his presence and the invitation to have a partner in life. And they prayed for our hearts desires in relationships, and the reality that you are in control, a good God, and enough even if we never get married. It blessed me…..alot.

Then, 3 hours later, we left. I still couldn’t believe we all sat at that table eating chocolate and drinking tea for that long. I couldn’t believe Brian and Debbie didn’t feel they had better things to do. They had space in their lives to invest in us. How cool. On our way out Debbie reminded me of my mother so much, she ran to the fridge and grabbed three bottles of juice, (I kept commenting on how I loved the fresh squeezed carrot, apple, and orange juice) and she insisted I took them home with me. What love. Anyways., I simply loved last night. I love that family, and I love God for blessing me so abundantly with them.

No comments: